Monday 15 September 2014

Netball World Cup 2015 - Shona

It's the finals for the 2015 Netball World Cup, your coach has just given your team a pep talk in the locker room and you are ready to head out the doors onto YOUR stage...


I heard people screaming and shouting as I walked down the corridor, into the arena. Sitting on the arena chairs I felt a shiver of nerves run down my spine. We all got our bibs to put on, so we were ready. Coach said to us " start warming up! We don't want any pulled muscles! Do we!? " So we all sprung up, following coach's orders. We super sonicly  walked onto court. But if you want to be posh, it's called jogging. We all started warming up. Quickly!

"1,2,3, Aussies!" ( I don't know their name). We all cheered hopefully. It was finally time to start the game! The crowd went CRAZY! They sounded like wild animals at the zoo! It was Australia v.s Germany! We were ready to go! The whistle blew. I ran to C, who quickly passed to WA. (7 mins later). It was almost half time. I passed to GA. The crowd gasped as the ball flew like a bird through the night and... the whistle blew and we missed!

You're down 50-35 and it's the last half of the game. Team momentum is at an all time low, it's up to you to give your team a pep talk in hope that this will help to relight their fire  and bring the team to victory. You huddle into a group...

* Whistle blows* "Come on team, lets have a pep talk." We all jogged into the locker room. "OK team." I said. We all huddled. "We're doing great! "But we're also getting really slack." " We may be winning  but they could catch up really easily!" We all agreed. Coach gave us a confidence talk as well. " We haven't got long so we need to give it everything, and get out of our comfort zone." We were called back onto the court. "1,2,3, Aussies!" We jogged back onto the court.

The crowds cheering, fireworks and cannons are exploding all around you, you look at the score board to see you have beaten your opponents in the last few seconds. You drop to your knees...


Tears of happiness sprung into my eyes. I wait to catch my breath. I didn't want to move. My other team mates  run over to me, picking me up. We had just won the 2015... Netball...World... Cup! The team were gathering all around me, they started high-fiving me. The other team ( and their accent) came over to congratulate us.

The other team walked away to let us embrace our victory. We were jogging around the stadium  and took in the crowd. We( and especially me) were so ecstatic! But probably more exhausted! We started jogging again and...

The stage is set and all eyes are on you  as you hear your name called out over the speaker. Slowly you start moving towards the stage...

I heard my name being called out. This is it! As I walk to the stage a big rush of happiness runs through me. As I get closer my smile gets bigger. I step up onto the stage thinking "this is awesome!" 

People were helping coach hand out the medals. The medals were so crystal like. They put the beautiful (but insanely heavy) crystal like GOLD medal around my neck. I was hypnotized as MINE! swung around my neck. And then they pulled out this Mt. Everest size trophy! How could this day get any better!? 

We were all so shocked and stoked that we won the world cup. But we had to wait a while to get the trophy back to Australia! It was a bit too big! Customs weren't that impressed!

No comments:

Post a Comment